Thursday, April 12, 2012

April 11, 2012- Chicken and Prosciutto Salad

Yes, I know it has been months since I last posted. My excuses? Difficult pregnancy and an active toddler. I think that is plenty justification for my absence. I have no expectation or hope of maintaining a daily blog like I used to. But, I do think I will use this blog to highlight exceptional new recipes we have tried. For example, I prepared a Chicken and Prosciutto Salad with Arugula and Asiago, from Cooking Light magazine, last night and it was delicious! Here's the recipe:

Chicken and Prosciutto Salad with Arugula and Asiago

Ingredients
2 (1-ounce) slices sourdough bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
Cooking spray
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided $
2 ounces very thin slices prosciutto, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 (5-ounce) packages baby arugula
1 1/2 ounces Asiago cheese, shaved and divided (about 1/3 cup)
6 ounces shredded skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved

Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 425°.
2. Place bread cubes on a baking sheet, and lightly coat with cooking spray. Add basil and garlic powder; toss well. Place bread mixture in preheating oven; bake for 8 minutes or until crisp.
3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add prosciutto; sauté 4 minutes or until prosciutto is crisp. Drain on paper towels.
4. Combine remaining 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons oil, juice, and salt in a small bowl; stir well with a whisk. Place arugula, half of cheese, and juice mixture in a large bowl; toss well to coat. Divide arugula mixture evenly among 6 plates; divide chicken, prosciutto, tomatoes, remaining cheese, and croutons evenly over salads.

Note:
The recipe is designed to make 6 servings.  I modified it for 2, making it a main dish rather than a side salad.  I basically used the same amount of chicken, croutons, prosciutto, and cheese as called for in the recipe and only served 2. I used less arugula, dressing, and tomatoes than the recipe called for.

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are back! I enjoy your blog. It reminds me to try new things, and helps me think of new things when I am in a rut.
    :D Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah and Laurie! I would so love it if you could email me the Pinterest link of the paper layered cake so I could find what you are searching for ~ I'm sorry, my brain is failing me now!!! Here's my email address if you need it: sewmanyroses@yahoo.com ~ xxoo, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I figured out what you must be talking about...I may have posted about Martha's beautiful paper cakes ~ here is her blog if you'd like to take a peek! http://vintagetrifles.blogspot.com/2012/02/studio-play-date-2-piece-of-cake.html
    xxoo,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete