Friday, October 4, 2013

Double Chocolate Pumpkin Cookies


For the past few years I've been making Old-Fashioned Soft Pumpkin Cookies from a recipe I found on www.verybestbaking.com. I never add the glaze and always included chocolate chips. They are a hit every time. Last week I made a batch with Katie. We didn't have quite enough left from that batch to take with us to PEPS this week, so I decided to make another batch. At the last minute, I got brave and experimented. I reduced the flour by 1/4 cup and added 1/4 cup of Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa. So, they ended up being a double chocolate pumpkin cookie. Ben wondered if he would notice the chocolate flavor of the dough without seeing the color. I wonder if we would notice the pumpkin if the cinnamon and nutmeg were omitted. I guess I might need to bake a few more batches and do a blind taste test. 

Here's a link to the original recipe:   Old-Fashioned Soft Pumpkin Cookies

Here's the adjusted recipe for Double Chocolate Pumpkin Cookies.

DOUBLE CHOCOLATE PUMPKIN COOKIES

Ingredients
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or silpat.
2. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a medium bowl.
3. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl until creamy. Add pumpkin puree, egg, and vanilla, mixing until smooth.
4. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture. Stir in chocolate chips.  
5. Drop by rounded tablespoons onto prepared cookie sheets.
6. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until edges are firm. Let rest on cookie sheets for 2 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment