Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Tuesday, 3/30/2010


CHICKEN CARBONARA
from Cuisine At Home- Weeknight Menus

Whisk Together:
1/2 cup parmesan, grated
2 eggs
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Saute:
1/2 lb. thick-slicked bacon, diced

Add & Saute:
1 lb. chicken tenders, seasoned with salt & pepper
(I used whole chicken breasts, cut them into tender sizes and pounded them until they were flat and about a 1/2 inch thick)

Deglaze & Reduce:
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Cook; Drain with:
12 ounces dry spaghetti
1 cup frozen peas

Directions:
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the spaghetti.
Whisk together Parmesan, eggs, cream, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
Saute bacon in a large saute pan until crisp. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate; pour off all but 1 T. drippings.
Add chicken; saute 4 minutes per side; transfer to the plate with the bacon.
Deglaze the pan with wine, broth, and juice, scraping up any bits on the bottom. Reduce by half, 2-3 minutes.
Cook spaghetti in boiling water, stirring often. Drain pasta into a colander with the frozen peas. Shake pasta to remove excess water. Combine the bacon, chicken, and wine mixture with the egg mixture. Add hot pasta and toss to coat.
Serve immediately.

This was my first time making carbonara with this recipe. It's a keeper. Usually when I make spaghetti carbonara no peas or chicken are included; I liked the change. Other than using a different cut of chicken (noted in the recipe), I followed the directions exactly. The next time I make it, I will half the spaghetti. Both Ben and I would have liked more sauce.

Katie was a light eater tonight, only having a few peas and a little chicken. I bet she will like the leftovers tomorrow night.

Here's a photo of the cooked, crispy bacon. Just for fun!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, the photos are great! I've never made or eaten Chicken Carbonara before but I will now.

    ReplyDelete