Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Wednesday, 4/7/2010

FOIL-WRAPPED GINGER CHICKEN

Prep & cook time: 1.5 hours, polus at least 1 hour of chilling time

Makes 4 servings

1 tbsp + 1 tsp soy sauce
1 tbsp dark brown sugar
One 1-in. piece ginger, peeled and cut into thinnest possible slivers
1 lb. boned, skinned chicken thigh meat, cut into bite-size pieces and strips
2 green onions, finely sliced
Ground black pepper

1. In a large bowl, combine soy sauce, brown sugar, and ginger. Add chicken, toss to coat, cover, and chill for at least 1 hours and up to overnight.

2. Preheat oven to 375. Lay out 8 pieces of aluminum foil, 6-8 in. long each. Put 1/8 of the marinated chicken in the middle of each. Top chicken with green onions and sprinkle with pepper. Fold 1 side of foil over the chicken to cover, fold opposite side of foild over first fold, and then fold in each end once to seal and create a little packet.

3. Lay packets on a foil or parchment lined rimmed baking sheet (packets will lead while cooking, and the marinade is difficult to clean up once it cooks onto a pan). Bake until chicken is cooked through and marinade is reduced and starting to carmelize in each packet, 45-60 minutes. Serve hot or warm.

I served mine with a simple spinach salad and white rice, flavored with chicken broth and minced garlic.

Garlic White Rice

1 cup white rice
2 cups chicken broth
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tbsp vegetable oil

Heat the vegetable oil in the bottom of a pan on medium. Add garlic until fragrant. Add rice; stir to combine with the garlic and oil. Add broth and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to lowest setting and cover. Cook for 20 minutes...don't remove the lid.

I got this recipe from a magazine, but am not sure which one. The recipe said it would yield 8 servings. I don't know about you, but 2 oz of meat is not enough for me. I think 4 servings is more realistic. It also called for 1 tbsp of regular soy sauce and 1 tsp of dark soy sauce. I only had the regular kind so I just upped the amount I put in to cover for my lack of dark soy sauce. The dish tastes great without the dark variety...save yourself the trip to the store:)

I was thankful to share this meal with my good friend Sydney. She came over to watch Katie for me while I went to a meeting at church. What a treat for both of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment