Monday, June 14, 2010

Monday, 6/14/2010

I had to strap Katie into her high chair so that I could make dinner. She seems to be cutting a tooth, which has made her very whiny, clingy, and kind of frantic today. Thankfully, she was mostly content being up higher so that she could see what I was doing from a distance.

I made Bisquick's Impossible Taco Pie tonight. We have a busy week ahead of us and it is a good meal to reheat as left overs. Here is the recipe we use. I'll share my notes at the end of this post.


IMPOSSIBLE TACO PIE

Ingredients:
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 ( 1 1/4 oz.) envelope taco seasoning mix
1 can ( 4 oz.) chopped green chiles, drained
1 1/4 cup milk
3 eggs
3/4 cup Bisquick
2 tomatoes, sliced
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese

Preparation:
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease glass pie plate, 10 x 1 1/2 inches.
Cook and stir ground beef and onion in skillet until beef is brown;drain. Stir in seasoning mix, dry. Spread in pie plate; top with chillies. Beat milk, eggs and Bisquick baking mix until smooth. Pour into pie plate. Bake 25 minutes. Top with tomatoes and cheese. Bake 8-10 minutes. Longer or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes. Serve with sour cream, tomatoes and shredded lettuce if desired. 6-8 servings.

I opt out on the onions for this dish. I don't think they are needed, and it cuts down on my prep time. I skip the tomatoes and instead top the pie with hot sauce for a little more kick. When we make beef burritos, we always use 1.5 packets of taco seasoning for one pound of ground beef. I use the same amount for this taco pie. And, I think 1 cup of shredded cheese isn't enough. Try 2 cups:) By the way, this is a great dish to take to a potluck. Hint: save a couple of those plastic pieces they use in delivery pizza boxes that keep the cheese from sticking to the box. You can use them in this dish to keep the melted cheese from sticking to the tin foil.

No comments:

Post a Comment