Monday, March 14, 2011

Wednesday, 3/9/2011

When I was growing up, my mom would sometimes make cornmeal pancakes for dinner.  This week I decided it was time to introduce them to my family.  This morning I searched the internet until I found a recipe that only called for ingredients I had in the house.  I didn't want to make an extra trip to the store today.  The pancakes turned out great.  Ben and I really liked them, but Katie was not a fan.  She ate applesauce, pre-packaged with no extra sugar, and some bacon with just a few bites of pancake.  Even adding syrup didn't entice her to eat more.  Here's the recipe for the pancakes.

CORN MEAL PANCAKES

Ingredients:
1 cup ALBERS Yellow Corn Meal
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, (optional)
1 large egg
1/2 cup NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk

Directions:
1.  Combine corn meal, honey and salt in a medium bowl. Slowly stir in boiling water. Cover; let stand for 10 minutes. Stir in flour, baking powder and cinnamon just until blended.
2.  Combine egg and evaporated milk in a small bowl; add to corn meal mixture. Spoon 1/3 cup batter for each pancake onto a heated, lightly greased griddle or skillet; cook for about 1 minute, or until bubbles appear. Turn; continue to cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until golden. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve warm with maple syrup or applesauce, if desired.

Makes 4 servings.

I made a fancier applesauce for Ben and me to eat.  I cored, peeled and roughly chopped up two honeycrisp apples and put them into a saucepan with a 1/4 cup of water.  I covered the pan and turned the heat on medium and let them steam until soft enough to mash.  When they were ready, I roughly mashed them.  Ben added some Splenda and cinnamon to his applesauce, while I had mine plain.  Soo good!

1 comment:

  1. If you want an awesome pancake, I recently turned onto malted pancake flour

    http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/golden-malted-pancake-and-waffle-mix/?pkey=e|golden%2Bmalted%2Bpancake%2B%2526%2Bwaffle%2Bmix|1|best|0|1|24||1&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules-_-

    There is a cheaper version (about half the price) on Amazon which appears to be from the same company and have the same ingredient list. I'll be trying it next weekend.

    ReplyDelete